Monday, May 19, 2008

Still the Luckiest Girl in the World 10 Years Later!!

I don't know if you believe in fairy tales, the whole happily ever after and glass slipper thing but I do. Last weekend Danny and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary. I can't say that everyday has been perfect but I can say that I wouldn't change a thing. I think that the non-perfect days make me love him just as much as the perfect days do. My favorite times with Danny are the simple times, playing video games together, going camping, staying in the bed all morning just cuddling with the dogs, going to Disneyland for a summer evening, and to be honest the list never ends. I really do think I am a lucky girl and wouldn't trade the last 10 years for anything.

Danny is such a huge and important part of my life, he takes better care of me than anyone ever has or ever will. He makes me laugh, he holds me when I cry and he is the only person in the world that can make me feel better when I truly feel sad. Even though sometimes he likes to pretend it isn't true he loves our dogs just as much as I do and would do anything for them. He puts up with all my quircks, loving me not in spite of them but because of them. My slipper fits...perfectly.

Last weekend he surprised me with a trip for our anniversary. Danny knows me so well that he knew I wouldn't want to leave the dogs behind for the weekend so when planning our trip he made sure to include them. I took Friday off work, we got up early and the four of us hit the road. I still didn't know where we were going but I was very excited to get wherever it was. Once we got off the toll roads and on to the 5 north I firgured we might be heaeding to Santa Barbara...I had been wanting to go there for awhile and it was in the direction we were heading and somewhere that the dogs might me able to tag along to. I have this cool book on places in California that you can take your dogs too, restaurants, hotels, parks, etc. so I flipped to the Santa Barbara page and marked it, I wanted to have proof that if this is where we were indeed headed that I called it. Hehehhee. We continued on the 5 for awhile and we lucky to hit only one bad batch of traffic (if you know L.A. you know this is a rare occurance) and we arrived in Santa Barbara. I must admit that by this point Danny did have me a LITTLE fooled. He said that we were driving past some placed called Lompac or something, which is further than SB. Plus we were driving further into Santa Barbara...almost past it. I pointed out that they had a zoo (I love animals) and Danny said, "oh I didn't know Santa Barbara had a zoo." Once we were almost all the way through Santa Barbara my tricky little boyfriend said, "SURPRISE, we are going to Santa Barbara!!" Then he handed me a stack of papers with all the things he had planned for us to do, EVEN the zoo that he claimed to not know about. Everything he had planned (more to come on that soon) showed how perfectly he knew me...and I was so excited to do them all.

We pulled up to your hotel, I don't remember the name I think and tried to black out the bad memories (more coming on that soon too) and Danny ran inside to get us checked in. I could tell as soon as he came back that something was wrong, he looked pissed. He said that even though he had reserved an ocean view room they didn't have on for us. Our room was on the backside of the hotel, not even on the same side of the street as the main hotel. Uh oh...this was not going to be good. We got all of our luggage out of the car, the dogs and ourselves and along with the bell hop headed up to our room. As soon as I stepped into the hallway I knew it wasn't good, it was the hallway was semi-indoors and semi-out...and for those of you that know me, you know I don't stay in "hotels" that have outdoor entrances. The semi-outdoor entrance wasn't even the worst part of the hallyway, it was about two feet wide and had maroon paisley, floral carpet. WOW...I was just hoping that it would get better once we got in the room, I didn't think that it could get worse afterall... BUT IT DID!! The room was like the size of my closet, which isn't saying much. It wasn't clean. There was no balcony for the dogs to go outside and the window was tiny with a view into some random apartment. There wasn't really even enough room for us, our luggage and the dogs. Aspen was even angry with the room, he kept trying to move around and just grunting at the lack of space.

Danny was on the phone in an instance...he was more than angry. Thank god because I was trying to be polite but I did not want to stay there, I didn't even want to touch anything. I would have made the best of it for our anniversary but I promise it was bad and you wouldn't have wanted to stay there either. At first hotels.com was not being too helpful but if you know Danny they had no choice but to change their minds. I was already moving our stuff back into the car before Danny was even off the phone. I had faith in Danny's abilities and I was right...we were moved into the much nicer hotel down the street, which we passed on the way in at no additional cost.

It was off to the Fess Parker Double Tree where we got to begin our anniversary trip (you have to stay tuned for the details)!!



2 comments:

Mel said...

First off, let me say. GREAT JOB Danny!! That was both thoughtful and romantic.

Heather, you truly do have a keeper in him. I love watching the two of you together - the way he looks at you is amazing, and this is after 10 years!!!! I am so impressed. You can tell that you guys are a perfect match...the slipper DOES fit perfectly. I am so happy that you have each other. You are the Derek and Meredith (but without all of the drama) of real life. :p You can tell how much you love him just by the way you wrote this entry. I was almost in tears, which is actually saying something cuz I only allow myself to cry at weddings and funerals. :P

Second, let me say that I am disappointed that you did not take pictures of the crappy hotel. I would have expected more from an avid blogger such as yourself.

Third, let me say...Ha! I won! I posted first!!! I was recently dethroned as the first poster to Heather's blog, BUT I have reclaimed my title! :P

Anonymous said...

I have to agree. Danny sure is a keeper. What a very thoughtful surprise. Come to think of it every person I have known named Danny is a good guy.

btw...You so should have taken pics of the crappy hotel.